logo
Hello Guest! In order to post you need to login with your NordicFuzzCon account.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline theblackvixen  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:43:05 PM(UTC)
theblackvixen

I wasn't at the con last year, but I was able to go this year! :) Please keep in mind I am a con noob, and this was my first convention. I am merely going off how I felt :) While there were some things that were a little iffy the pros HEAVILY outweighed the ..."cons"...

*coughs and gets hit with brick for terrible pun*

The cons:

The hotel itself had a few things wrong with it, like keycards not working for some people's rooms, and locks for bathroom doors not working properly for multiple people. But I suppose this couldn't be helped in certain areas, but it was a bit of inconvenience for some!

Some panels were extremely late, and it made rushing to get to them a waste of time.

The dealer's den wasn't available on the first day of the con, which seemed odd to me. Not to mention it's extended hours were during other events that were considered a group activity for alot of people, like the fursuit group photo. I was not able to attend this event because I had to stay with my table. Some feel that it would have been best to have moved the dealer's den times to an earlier point.

The Pros:

The hotel staff were AMAZING. They were very energetic and upbeat about the convention, which made me feel very accepted and excited!

The rules were followed almost to a tee! It made everything on elevators go very smoothly!

The food in the dining area was phenomenal! <3 we got way more than we expected with the dining area, a very pleasant surprise! Nothing tasted old or off and was very fresh :) The service was excellent!

The DJ area was awesome as well, with great mixes and plenty of respect for fursuiters!

Con-ops were absolutely great and provided lamination services, lending of hot glue guns, directions, and everything else in between! They were always very friendly and were always very happy to help if you had any questions! I would love for the same people to run con ops next year, I can't praise them enough! :)

The fursuit lounge was the best thing ever for suiters. all the fans and the nifty head drying device were a godsend! I had a few suit malfunctions at the con and the lounge was amazing. all the little snacks and drinks were just the best thing ever after running around in a hot fursuit :3 the only thing I could think of adding to it was Air conditioning, but seriously, the lounge was TOTALLY perfect.

The guest of honor was so awesome! :D I enjoyed having a conversation with him, he was really inspiring! :D

My fiance particularly liked the photography panel, as he feels he learned alot. It was his favorite panel! :)

the charity went towards a noble cause, and it made me feel awesome to donate what I could :D

Every single attendee was super sweet to me, and I can't say I ran into anyone I didn't like! <3

The convention was one of the best experiences of my life, and I can firmly say I have a serious case of post con depression! :P I can't wait to see the new venue and what happens next year! :D

Offline Sayh  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 5:13:34 PM(UTC)
Sayh

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
We can try to say "delayed panels and events are what makes a furry con". At most cons I have been to, waiting for events to start, long time after they should have started, has become a norm.

But of course, that is the wrong approach. It would be great fun to be one of the cons that gets it right!

There were technical issues, there were "manpower" issues. We can only dig into what happened, and to try make sure it does not happen again.

I did not experience any of the issues with the doors, or other hotel issues. But, the hotel will not be used next year (a bit sad, given the awesome hotel staff), and hopefully the new hotel will not have these issues. This hotel was quite old, and that is possibly the reason for some of this.

I really hope to see you next year too, your suit was awesome, and I want to see it again! I think I got a pic of me & you in suit :)

~Duck
Offline Hassel  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2014 11:12:51 PM(UTC)
Hassel

Originally Posted by: theblackvixen Go to Quoted Post

The fursuit lounge was the best thing ever for suiters. all the fans and the nifty head drying device were a godsend! I had a few suit malfunctions at the con and the lounge was amazing. all the little snacks and drinks were just the best thing ever after running around in a hot fursuit :3

Thank you for those kind words. Smile

the only thing I could think of adding to it was Air conditioning

Yes, we are aware that is sometimes was a bit to hot in the lounge. The reason for this was that one of the radiators was broken and could not be turned of. This is one of many things that unfortunately is hard to predict or to do anything about during the convention, but we will make our best to make sure that is doesn't happen again.
Offline Pinky  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2014 2:22:57 PM(UTC)
Pinky

Some panels were extremely late, and it made rushing to get to them a waste of time.

The dealer's den wasn't available on the first day of the con, which seemed odd to me. Not to mention it's extended hours were during other events that were considered a group activity for alot of people, like the fursuit group photo. I was not able to attend this event because I had to stay with my table. Some feel that it would have been best to have moved the dealer's den times to an earlier point.

Hiya

First of all I want to try to explain why some things get delayed. It is not easy for an attendee to view it from a "backstage" perspective, so this is simply an attempt to give you some information which may help in understanding why some things get delayed although we do not plan for it.

For example the opening ceremony was delayed. This was because a bunch of furs were stuck in the lift - simply the result of not being experienced with the crowding of furcons which also affects the lifts.

Another example was the charity panel. Here outside circumstances play a role. There was an animal in need which the panel hostess from the charity had to deal, and it couldn't wait because it was in pain. After several phone calls she managed to get it help immediately and also host the panel, which we are grateful for.

Then there is the closing ceremony. That could have been on time, but I wanted to tally in as many amounts as possible for the announcement, so that meant that counting was still being done frantically by a whole team of people.

These are just some examples. Sometimes things get delayed due to unforeseen circumstances, sometimes they are deliberately delayed for a "higher goal". But rest assured, we hate ever delaying anything, so it is only when it is really necessary that we do it. Sometimes it can also be a factor which we cannot tell you out of respect for an attendee in need. When you have so many people together in one place, the likelyhood that at least one person encounters serious problems rises.

About the dealers den, I agree that the group photo should not be planned during the opening hours of the den, and that is something I want to change for next year. I could also open the den one hour earlier and close it one hour earlier. There might not be lots of customers between 11 and 12 in the morning, but it will give the artists a chance to sit and work on commissions. And it would also free up an hour in the afternoon for other programming. It all depends on a lot of factors, but I've read your very good an sensible comments and I'm taking them inot consideration when planning for next year. :-)