logo
Hello Guest! In order to post you need to login with your NordicFuzzCon account.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline GreyLion  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2013 3:07:44 PM(UTC)
GreyLion

Just let me know my peronal meaning:
I consider ask me to pay deposit for possible damages as personal offence (as they consider me ahead as some rowdy or whatever bad). I had never meet with this anywhere (and I do not travel too less) in the world and I would never book such hotel. For paying possible damages is there my CC and insurance AFTER the damage happen.
If I noticed this before yesterdays mail (my faul I have not noticed it, but this is so absurd for me, that I did not understand it) I will never register. Now is too late to cancel, ad I had payed quite lot money already for this visit.

What I will do? I will request full my customer rights from hotel - perfect service in room quality and cleaning and other services, in bar and in reataurant. I will give any tips for service. I will write this to web hotel ratings eg on booking.com.
I will asked for accept my CCs and report to VISA and MASTERCARD their cards was refused in this hotel (as I done before in soome smaller german pensions, when it happened and they reported back to me the hotel payed penalty for this) as if they have agreement with CC companies they MUST accept it.

Questions: Who will pay to me bank fees for withdraw cash from ATM which I will not pay if I use CC for direct payment? What should I do with 500SEK cash just 2 hours before leaving the country?

GL

p.s. I have looked forward to convention but but now i meen more poorly and will not come again with such conditions...

p.p.s It is not need to answer from organisators side, consider this just as my personal notice

Offline pycnopodia  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2013 3:27:46 PM(UTC)
pycnopodia

Hi,

I have not heard of this practise before either. However the 500SEK can be used to pay for food and drinks bought with your conbadge during your stay at the convention since you pay for this when you check out from the hotel.

Having attended a few cosplay conventions I always book hotel rooms alone, I can understand why the hotel is taking some precautions RollEyes

Deposit FAQ's

Hotel deposit, what is it? The deposit is for your part of the hotel room. Meaning that if you break something this deposit will be used by the hotel to cover the cost to repair it.

Does everone have to pay it? No. Only the attendees that have chosen to sleep over at the hotel.

What? Why haven't you told me this before? We have. This has been stated in our FAQ since day one and was mentioned in the roundmail #1 from the 3rd of February.

When will i have to give the deposit? You will give the deposit in cash to the hotel during check in.

When will i get the deposit back? You will get it back once you check out from the hotel AFTER the hotel staff has checked your room to confirm that everything is in order.

How much is the deposit and how do i pay it? The deposit is 500SEK and you have to pay it in cash. There is a cash machine just around the corner from the hotel.

So i have to give the hotel 500SEK in cash during check in and then i get this money back during check out when i am about to leave the hotel? Yes. There is one addition. During the convention you will be able to buy food/drinks using your badge. IF your room is in order then you can use the deposit to pay for the food/drinks you have ordered during the convention. If you have not bought any food/drinks then you will get 500SEK back.

It has been discussed on twitter, what is the actual change? The only change we have made is that it is no longer possible to pay the deposit using a credit card.
UserPostedImage
Offline GreyLion  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2013 3:54:31 PM(UTC)
GreyLion

Originally Posted by: pycnopodia Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I have not heard of this practise before either. However the 500SEK can be used to pay for food and drinks bought with your conbadge during your stay at the convention since you pay for this when you check out from the hotel.

Having attended a few cosplay conventions I always book hotel rooms alone, I can understand why the hotel is taking some precautions RollEyes

thanks for contribution, i have read the email and the faq, so not necessary to send me it again...
but there are not answers for my questions

if you or anybody other use to ruin hotel room it is question of you...

but i am personally offended if anybody consider me ahead as somebody who for sure and deliberatelly will damage something... i am quite honest person and such suspicion offend me...

as i stated before - it can happen as accident, of course, but for this is there my CC and my insurance to pay it...

GL
Offline pycnopodia  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2013 5:03:17 PM(UTC)
pycnopodia

I can understand that.

I think its a classic case of a few people giving everyone else a bad name..

I dont think convention attendees in general have a good reputation for being polite and tidy.. This may also explain why they closed the rest of the hotel for the weekend.

Its like getting a car insurance when you are in the age group most likely to crash, you have done nothing wrong yet you are instantly treated as a bad driver.

So while I understand you dont like it, I can also understand that the hotel not only wants to but needs to take some precautions. I dont like it at all, but I have been to MCM Expo convention several times and convention goers have earned their reputation. No way for the hotel to know which convention is worse or better in those regards, but the 18 year age limit should be a fairly good indication that it wont be a mayhem.
UserPostedImage
Offline sfw  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 9:40:22 AM(UTC)
sfw

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
They are not attracking you in any way, it is applied to all persons staying in the hotel and is a deposit charge for any damage against the room. As a deposit you will get it back at the end of the stay with them unless anything is damaged.

You can exchange the money back at any exchange, if flying back the airport will certainly have one. Failing that you can use it to buy food at the airport before flying, anything you want on the plane etc.
Offline GreyLion  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:28:33 PM(UTC)
GreyLion

Originally Posted by: sfw Go to Quoted Post
They are not attracking you in any way, it is applied to all persons staying in the hotel and is a deposit charge for any damage against the room. As a deposit you will get it back at the end of the stay with them unless anything is damaged.

You can exchange the money back at any exchange, if flying back the airport will certainly have one. Failing that you can use it to buy food at the airport before flying, anything you want on the plane etc.

read my post more hardly, please...
this are no answers for my questions and not solving useless trouble i will have with this...
i am not interested what is hotel meaning about others, i am interested about me and if others are like sheeps and not offended with this then i am...
i will have aditional spents and financial losts with useless exchanging money there and back and i do not want throw money for things on airport and on plane what i do not need just because somebody treat me like potential criminal...
Offline pycnopodia  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:30:49 PM(UTC)
pycnopodia

I wouldnt mind it too much, some restaurants have deposits of hundreds and thousands of dollars just to book a table.

There are limits to what I find acceptable, conventions are a special case though.

Imagine a group of 150 fotball supporters or MC bike gangs, Im sure the hotel would demand a deposit from them too.
UserPostedImage
Offline NewEinstein  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:46:46 PM(UTC)
NewEinstein

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
First, we'd like to apologize for any problems this may have caused to you or other NFC attendees. While it was stated in our FAQ, it's apparent we could have done a better job at getting the information out. If you have any more questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to get in touch, here or in private.

Secondly, we'd like to explain the situation, to help clarify and to prevent any further confusion. Neither any of you nor us organizers want to be forced to put down a deposit for a hotel room. That money is much better spent elsewhere. But the one issue is liability.

NordicFuzzCon is a Swedish non-profit organization. Officially, it is NordicFuzzCon that is booking all hotel rooms. In a Swedish non-profit, the creators of the organization take on all economic risk. This means that the organizers are personally liable for any economic damage that might occur.

If something happens to the hotel during the convention, the hotel will charge NordicFuzzCon for the costs. We have insurance for that. However, that insurance does not cover personal hotel rooms, as they are considered private property during your stay at the hotel. In this case, the organizers would be liable for things outside our control, which is an uncomfortable situation; arranging a convention is a big enough risk as is.

Together with the hotel, we agreed to take out 500 SEK during check in, so that the attendees themselves would assume some responsibility for anything that happens in their own room during the convention. (We trust each and every one of you but accidents do happen.)

Deposits are the norm in the hotel business. The normal procedure is that the hotel blocks a certain amount on your credit card on check-in. If everything is OK after you check out, the money is returned to you in full. It normally takes around 3-5 business days before that blocked amount has been cleared of your credit card.

So why in cash?
A payment by credit card would indeed be possible but, frustratingly, due to old software at the hotel, they are only able to receive one deposit per hotel room. This would obviously be problematic for those that share accommodation with others. It would also cause issues for attendees that move rooms for early arrival / late departure. So to simplify for all parties we decided, together with the hotel, that they will take the deposit in cash, lock it into a safety box, and then return it in full or use it for the bills on your badge at checkout if everything in the hotel room is in good condition.

We will definitely look into this issue further for next year's convention, and see if there are any alternate solutions.

Trax and NewEinstein
„Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand." (Albert Einstein, 1931)
Offline sfw  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:03:30 PM(UTC)
sfw

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hopefully the reply from NewEinstien will be of use, I'm having a fair amount of trouble understanding what you mean.