logo
Hello Guest! In order to post you need to login with your NordicFuzzCon account.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Panterdjuret  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 9:01:30 PM(UTC)
Panterdjuret

Hello, I will be selling things for the very first time at NFC, and I have no idea about how to establish any sort of pricing for my things. They are mostly paintings with or without details in sculpey and other mixed materials, and remixed soft toys (also with occasional mixed materials). I have no idea where to even begin stetting any prices and I wondered if there are any sort of guidelines? How do any fellow artists decide on their prices?

I know that skill and materials play a huge role, so let's talk in general or on a very, very basic level here.

Any ideas would help very much. As I said, I have no clue about anything when it comes to these things!

/Pao

Offline Gero  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:18:42 PM(UTC)
Gero

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Its really hard to tell since its art and as you say, prices vary heavy due to quality and demand whats theyre made off. But a starting point would be to go and search for simular art on places like FA and see whats art simular to youres are sold for, that would give you a good idea on what sector you should start youre pricing in. Another idea would be to ask friends, or any one with more knowled off art and prices of art pieces for advice.

Other than that a good formula for pricing is Price = Materials + Working cost per hour*hours spent on item + other costs + profit.
Offline ziggy_wolf  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:57:12 PM(UTC)
ziggy_wolf

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Paintings usually go for more than prints. From what I've seen prices start around 200sek or 20 euro and flatten out at around 600 or 60 euro. I would sugjest pricing it in the lower price range. I've seen your art and I personally like the moode in them. So please don't take it the wrong way. But your target audience is not the one with the most buying power. And since your'e relatively new to the furry art buisness people won't know your art that well. It seems reputation is important in the fandom especially when selling art. I my self have gone for a strategy of low prices and large quantity. Since I too face a simmilar predicement.

To boost your apeal I strongly advice you to have a stand that looks professional. As veteran of the adverticeing buisness I know the inportance of adverticing to your target audience.

This means having either banners, posters and such wich will catch the attention of your customers. And a placker with all your services and prices displayed. If you have somthing that lights up, sparkles, shines thats also good.

A good strategy is to have merchendice priced in verious price ranges. From really cheep to more expencive.

But most importantly, pay attention to people passing by, and slapp on a big smile and a hello! Don't just sit on your ass. Despite how miserable you might actually feel, smile. Get them talking about art. Ask them what they like and try to find somthing that they will be interested in.

Edited by user Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:55:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Panterdjuret  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:20:28 PM(UTC)
Panterdjuret

Gero:
"Other than that a good formula for pricing is Price = Materials + Working cost per hour*hours spent on item + other costs + profit."
That is something I will try to keep in mind. Thank you. :3

ziggy_wolf:
Oh dear, that sounds pretty serious and terrifying. I had no idea, and I think that I have too much to learn before I can start trying to sell things at a con. I have decided that this time, I will walk around and see how and what others do and see if I can make any sense of it. It being my first con, also trying to sell things during it seems to be way above my current level.

Thank you so much for your reply!

/Pao
Offline ziggy_wolf  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:51:53 AM(UTC)
ziggy_wolf

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You're welcome to stop by my stand. And we can give eachother some moral support. I know just how daunting selling art for the first time at a con can be. Truth be told, I'd appreceate a little pat on the back or a kick in the ass if needed. Us Scandifurs gotta stick together you know. And don,t worry you'll do fine.

Edited by user Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:54:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified