logo
Hello Guest! In order to post you need to login with your NordicFuzzCon account.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline sfw  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 29, 2013 8:30:52 PM(UTC)
sfw

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
That I am aware of no convention has ever allowed the use of real fur in costumes or in sales in the dens. International fur trade is highly restricted and generally only taxidermists deal with such sales. Again, I am not aware of any ever being sold at a convention.

Leather has been accepted for some times as a clothing item and real leather is generally more expensive.

Offline pilosus  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 30, 2013 1:05:49 AM(UTC)
pilosus

Leather is sort of a convenient byproduct of agriculture (meat/milk production); They typically don't farm cows just for the leather.

Fur farms on the other hand...
Offline fuzzyphox  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 6, 2013 6:02:44 PM(UTC)
fuzzyphox

Originally Posted by: pilosus Go to Quoted Post
Leather is sort of a convenient byproduct of agriculture (meat/milk production); They typically don't farm cows just for the leather.

Fur farms on the other hand...

I get the point but thos who call them self for "animal friend" wich many in the fandom are, of thos I have been spoken to say that thay never ever going to buy real fur to protect the animals but at the sametime they are willing to buy a collar made of real leather, And I just cant see the different.
Offline Creideiki  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 6, 2013 7:50:04 PM(UTC)
Creideiki

Yay, philosophy time! Looking at it from a strict economics perspective (that is, without considering ethics), the difference is:

The cow is already dead, to provide meat. Therefore, whether the hide is used for leather makes no difference for the cow. A single purchase of a small leather item has negligible marginal impact on the demand for leather (as measured in the number of cow hides required), and therefore does not cause any extra cows to be killed.

Fur-producing animals, on the other hand, are usually reared solely for their fur, and quite small. That means that the purchase of a single fur item is directly and solely responsible for the killing of one or several animals.
Offline Emprah  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 6, 2013 10:53:05 PM(UTC)
Emprah

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I get what you're talking about, Fuzzy. You're thinking like a vegetarian, in that meat industry is unethical. Thus vegetarians eat no meat as a boycott and to affirm themselves as not taking part in the sin themselves.

That's not quite how furry conventions think from what I gather from the answers however. I did find out real leather is allowed at conventions.

http://i.imgur.com/IW8simF.gif